Wednesday 8 May 2013

Meet a stranger

One of my subjects at college this semester is called 'Understanding Buddhism and Islam'.  As part of this subject we have to have two conversations with a Muslim or a Buddhist to talk about their beliefs.

I do not want to do this.  Meeting new people is nerve-wracking enough for me even when they're Christian.  It's not so bad when you're put in a situation together and you're forced to meet, like get-to-know-you time at church or group discussions in class.  You know that the people around you are expecting to have a conversation.  Or even when you're only semi-forced, like sitting next to someone in a lecture.  You're both already in the situation, they're right there, you just have to start talking.

But when you have to find someone to talk to; approach them when they're not looking for or asking for a conversation, that's when it's scary.

Starting this kind of conversation terrifies me.



At uni, O-Week and Jesus Week were the two weeks of the academic year I had the most mixed feelings about.  These were the weeks when the Christian group I was part of at uni did a high amount of walk-up evangelism and basically talking to strangers.  Even with a Christian friend coming with me, I was not often keen to do this.  I knew the reasons why we did it, and I was behind it wholeheartedly, I was just scared of doing it myself. 

I have been thinking of using my two free hours at college on Wednesday afternoons to go to Sydney uni and find a Muslim to talk to.  Today was the first day I actually had that time free to go.  I chickened out.

I know that I'm being irrational.  I don't even know what I'm scared of.

Through college mission in first term I met someone at Sydney uni who works with and has met a lot of Muslims this year.  I've asked her to introduce me to someone she knows.  I'm meeting up with her tomorrow.

Please pray that I would have courage and confidence.  Pray that I would seize this opportunity and grow as a result of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment